Rail Project Planner / Planning Engineer
£30,000 – £47,000
(Yorkshire & North-East Midlands)
Do you want to play a key role in helping to deliver exciting rail and infrastructure projects which make a real difference to people’s lives?
Have you ever wanted to get a taste of working in an agile SME organisation, where you can truly be recognised for your contribution, whilst still being involved in delivering major projects?
Are you passionate about adding value and utilising technology and innovation to get the best project outcomes?
If the answer to the above questions is ‘Yes, Yes, Yes’, then D2 is the place for you! In D2 we are experts in project planning and scheduling, project controls, capacity planning, constructability, information management, risk & value management, utilities management, and project management. We have a dedicated digital technology team who can quickly turn your ideas into bespoke solutions and software products to inspire the industry in innovative solutions.
What are we looking for?
Working in D2 feels like being part of a high performing tight-knit family. We are all obsessed with adding value and our culture is based on everyone being open, collaborative, innovative and highly competent. We are looking for the best people whose core values and behaviours align with our own – if this is you, then come and join D2!
Due to ongoing expansion in our Rail Division, we are looking for driven and enthusiastic people with demonstrable experience in rail capital expenditure project(s) delivery – with a desire and experience record going back at least five years that demonstrates that they can deliver and add value in a technical and time-challenged dynamic environment. We would welcome applications from candidates who have or can demonstrate:
- Relevant experience in the successful delivery of major projects of work in rail infrastructure delivery – i.e. PWay, OLE, Telecoms, Civils, Lineside Civils or Stations & Depots
- Daily user of industry standard Planning software – P6, MSP, ASTA
- Ability to develop and build a successful plan & schedule and obtain stakeholder buy-in
- Collaborative behaviour and values
- Ensure safe methodology is applied at the planning stage and ensure the most cost & time effective method is undertaken
- Ensure the plan and schedule is align with possession / shutdown / outage planning and access information, where applicable
- Identify key resource requirements through the life cycle of the programme
- Raising early warning to the project team to ensure mitigation method is undertaken without any time/cost impact to the programme
- Cost and Resource load programmes to measure SPI & CPI
- Performance Measurement Baseline (PMB) management
- Produce meaningful outputs to gauge project / programme status for non-Planners
With the following aspects being highly desired:
- A minimum of five years relevant experience in the successful delivery of major projects in multi-discipline railway construction
- User of reporting, analytics and EVM / Cost software – e.g. Power BI, FUSE, Cobra or Qlikview
- Ability to develop and build a successful schedule
- Comprehensive experience record in the successful delivery of major projects of work in the construction and/or infrastructure industries – i.e., Civils, Highways, Rail, Power, Construction or Nuclear – covering five, plus years
- Member of a relevant professional body and/or educated to degree level
- Working knowledge and experience of structured project delivery, e.g. APM / PMI / PRINCE2
- Understanding of civils / mechanical design and construction methodologies and contractual mechanisms (NEC3/4, JCT, FIDIC)
- Knowledge of/experience in Alliancing
- Working knowledge of change management and what-if scenario planning
Working with us – why we are different
- You will be part of a high performing team that feels like a tight-knit family
- We are agile and not constrained by red tape!
- We are specialists in all areas of complex project delivery and can call upon our digital technology team to quickly turn our knowledge into industry leading solutions
- You will have the opportunity to work on flagship projects both in Great Britain and Canada
- Your voice will be heard and can shape the direction of the business
- We actively invest in your career development and progression and will help you become a chartered project professional
- We promote based on capability and not on time served in role
- We are an inclusive employer. Recruiting, retaining, and inspiring the best people from the widest pool is vitally important to us. We encourage and welcome applications from all sections of society and are happy to discuss reasonable adjustments and/or additional arrangements you may need to support your application.
- We are growing quickly – our team has grown significantly in the last two years – it is a great time to join!
- Salary Range in the region of £30,000 – £47,000, commensurate with experience
- Excellent benefits package incl 25 days holiday a year and private health medical care
- Professional and personal growth through mentoring and training
- A supportive and friendly team with regular team socials